Sunday, August 17, 2014

Week 1: Oh the Places... My Favorite Places


A favorite place is generally somewhere that has meaning to you. It calls you, pulls you in. It is because of this very reason that I have chosen two locations.

New Orleans, Louisiana. While the majority of people think of loose morals, partying, and football, New Orleans brings a whole other meaning to me. Nola (as the locals call it) is my second home. It's the center of all my family gatherings, and why shouldn't it be? Nola is gorgeous! It's the place of a million stories and a million places to see.

New Orleans French Quarter Architecture
Wikipedia Commons
You could live in New Orleans all your life and still never see everything. But the food is definitely a can't miss if you do go to visit. 
The Gumbo Shop
Menu

Texas. While my home is Houston, I am 100% Texan. My family has been living in Texas for centuries and I am blessed to be the fifth generation of that lineage. Texas has it all! From the plains in Dallas, to the marshes in Houston, down to the beaches in South Padre, the mountains in Alpine, and the deserts in Big Bend. There's nothing else like this great state, why else would so many people put their nationality as Texan on their census?

Texas State Flag
Wikipedia Commons

 

3 comments:

  1. I am from Texas too, Jessica... and I am also such a fan of New Orleans. What a great city! And both places have strong storytelling traditions of their own too! One of the reading units for this class I am most excited about is a book of Tejas legends... maybe it is one you will want to read for class. Here it is in the class UnTextbook if you are curious about the stories:
    When the Storm God Rides: Tejas and Other Indian Legends
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite story is one about New Orleans that my cousin recently told me. Apparently it was referenced in a Clint Eastwood movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great how stories will use ANY means they can find to spread...? Word of mouth still works... but if a story shows up in a movie, it can reach millions! :-)

    ReplyDelete