Monday, August 18, 2014

Week 1 Un-Textbook: My Choices

These were all the choices that stood out most to me as I went through the Un-Textbook list. Weeks 11-14 are the largest groups I have chosen from. They are filled with the storied I have heard as a child.

Gospel of Mark.
The book of Mark has always been a good once since it covers many of the stages of Jesus' life. Since Mark was one of Jesus' followers, it gives an in depth approach to Jesus' life
Bible Women.
I rather like this one because it is about all of the strong women in the bible. The women who were not necessarily perfect but stood up for what they believed in,  even if there was a possibility of horrible consequences.  
Brer Rabbit
These were stories I heard growing up. It is also a Disney movie that is banned in the US called Song of the South. It is a great story with a great lesson in the end. 
Marriage Tales
This might be the tales I am most excited about. Coming from a large family, women sitting around talking about their marriages and the dumb things that happen is very common. Then they tell me for a warning. I already enjoy these. 
Grimm (Ashliman), Grimm (Crane), Grimm (Hunt)
I am going to group all of the Grimm stories together because they are just that great. As much as I love the Disney version of all these stories, I think the Brother's Grimm version give a more gruesome and grotesque take on life. 
Russian Folktales
I once read a book that was Russian fairy tale by Orson Scott Card and it was fantastic. These seem to be very very similar. 




This is a list of all the groupings that I am wanting to read. I have included it in this list because there were too many that caught my eye that I could not choose a few. I have also included it for my use, so I can refer to it later.


Weeks 2 and 3
Gospel of Mark. 
Bible Women.
Jewish Fairy Tales

Weeks 4 and 5
Ancient Egypt
Turkish Fairy Tales
Arabian Nights
Persian Fairy Tales
Indian Fairy Tales

Weeks 6 and 7
Chinese Fairy Tales
Nigerian Folktales
Brer Rabbit
More Brer Rabbit

Weeks 9 and 10
Marriage Tales
Tejas Stories
Eskimo Folktales

Weeks 11 and 12
Nursery Rhymes
More English Fairy Tales
More Celtic Fairy Tales
Welsh Tales (Emerson)

Weeks 13 and 14
Grimm (Ashliman)
Grimm (Crane)
Grimm (Hunt)
Fairy Tales 1 (Lang)
Italian Fairy Tales
Russian Folktales

No comments:

Post a Comment