Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Week 2 Storytelling: The Magical Mouse


There once was a mouse named Timothy. Timothy was not the biggest mouse, nor was he the strongest mouse; he was just an average-sized grey mouse, with large round ears, thin whiskers, a pink nose, and a nice long tail. But he was not just a regular mouse; he was a magical mouse. While he appeared to be a regular, plain mouse, he was actually filled with magic. He was the greatest mouse ever to have been seen.

A Brave Mouse


Timothy was on a grand magical journey. He had been traveling the woodlands, amongst all the grass and trees, for many weeks in the heat of the summer with his six buddies – other creatures called them his bros – when Timothy decided that they were dwindling under the scorching heat. So he turned to his bros and said, “Come with me and rest a while.” So the seven mice scurried away to an unoccupied shaded area just outside of the crowded fields and towns.

Now many of the forest creatures saw these mice heading toward the secluded shade and recognized them, for Timothy and his bros had been going from town to town, in which forest creatures would reside, revealing Timothy’s magical gift - by healing the sick, turning mud into drinkable water, and other such magical talents - all across the woodland territory for many to see and hear about. The forest creatures began to run and scurry from all the towns in that region to the unfrequented covering the seven mice were gradually walking towards, arriving there before them. It was a shaded, grassy area that was green and cool and covered by large tree branches and leaves, deserted and away from civilization. 

 As he approached them, Timothy looked around realizing that the mass of bodies consisting of chipmunks, snake, bugs, squirrels, bunnies, birds, and more, all hot, tired, and hungry, had come to see him, and he had empathy for them because he knew that their spirits were wounded from within, all wishing to somehow be healed by his magical abilities. They needed a hero, someone to look up to, someone to give them hope, and that someone was Timothy. So he began to tell them of his journey, of his abilities and those he had lent aid to, and he demonstrated his compassion for all of them.

When it grew late, Timothy’s bros come to him and said, “This is a deserted place and it is growing late. Send the creatures away to the surrounding fields and towns to find themselves something to eat.” 

But Timothy answered, “You give them something to eat.” His bros replied, “Do you want us to go and scavenge enough bread to feed all of these creatures?” And he said to them, “How many loaves of bread do we have? Go and count.” 

Once they counted, his bros returned to him and said, “Five, and two blackberries.” 

Then Timothy instructed all of the animals to sit down in groups on the grassy area underneath the shade, so the forest creatures did so and sat down with whatever creatures were next to them, like and different, in groups of hundreds and fifties. And taking the five loaves and the two blackberries Timothy used his magical powers and broke the loaves and gave them to his bros to set down before the forest creatures. And Timothy separated the two blackberries and divided them among all the animals, and they all ate and were content. Then the bros picked up twelve large sacks still full of broken pieces of bread and of blackberries. And they realized that those who ate the loaves of bread were five thousand animals.


Authors Note. The Gospel of Mark from the Bible is made up of a series of stories accounting the life of Jesus. It was difficult to choose just one story since Mark, as a whole, is so powerful. I decided to choose Mark 6:30-44 – the miracle of the loaves and the fish - one of Jesus’ more famous miracles where he fed five thousand people with only five loaves of bread and two fish. It demonstrates that anything is possible through Christ if you believe. I chose to represent Jesus through a tiny mouse because Jesus was not especially big or powerful-looking, but he was certainly an extremely powerful being. By representing Jesus through a mouse, we are able to see that he came from humble beginnings. Jesus could have been born to a king, he could have been born in a bed/hospital, he could have been born to a married couple, but no. Jesus was born in a barn to a couple who were not of great status or wealth but were carpenters, and they had to travel not by horse but by donkey before they had him. It was his humble beginnings that make Jesus so powerful, and that is why I chose a simple mouse that would not have been especially exceptional by birth but was exceptional by the grace of God. The blackberries I substituted for the fish in the original story. Blackberries, like fish, are difficult to separate to feed so many people, but blackberries seemed to fit a woodlands setting better than fish. I was able to mesh the original Bible story with my retelling by keeping the loaves of bread but altering fish to blackberries. The location I had them gather would be very much like a secluded area off in the distance that is generally deserted. It was a place I would imagine someone would go to be alone to meditate or pray, somewhere cool and calming and green.

 The original story was in the third-person style and it is only fitting that it should be written this way even when the story is converted into somewhat of a child’s story. I really enjoyed this writing style because it gives the reader a lot of information without confusing him or her with an excess of details and continuously long sentences. However, I feel as though the flow came more naturally with this Biblical style than with others. I did use verbal echoes from the Bible in this retelling; the majority of it was in the last two sentences of the retelling. I felt as though using echoes allowed the reader to recognize that it was from the Bible.  Being able to tell one of the stories of Jesus, without making it overtly Christian, was the idea that I was going for. A type of blend between an animal fable and the Bible, so to speak.  

Bibliography: King James Bible (1611), Mark 6:30-44

8 comments:

  1. About half-way through your story I realized that this was the story of Jesus feeding 5,000 and I was blown away with the way you set up the story. I loved how you compared Jesus to a magical mouse - not especially big or powerful-looking, but most definitely and extremely powerful being. It was a really cute way to tell this story. I could almost see this type of story appearing in one of those bedtime story bibles because it takes the form of a fairy tale which is sure to capture the attention of children. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced the same thing as Jada, at first I thought it was an Aesop retelling but when I got to reading it I realized it was a retelling of a part of the Gospel. The real miracle I found here was the large amount of blackberries, since if you have ever picked blackberries you know it takes forever and you usually end up cut up and covered in chiggers. To get enough blackberries for 5000 animals would take years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the two before me commented, about half way through the story I realized where it was going. This was a great retelling of the famous tale, and I like how you simplified it. It is indeed comparable to a children's story, and it is written in such a way that anyone can understand the importance of Timothy. Many Christians will recognize the significance, and the backdrop of your story, but even if one is not they still have an interesting read. It's the best of both worlds, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story was really cool. I agree that making Jesus as a magical mouse is really cool - being incredibly powerful, but incredibly contained. I thought that was really cool. It was a great retelling of the story without sounding "too Christian", so I think you succeeded in that area. I have to know: did you choose the name Timothy because of its Biblical connection, or was that just a coincidence. Again, it was a great fun read and I hope you keep writing some great stuff throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very interesting story. When I first started reading this, it reminded me of the little grey mouse from the movie the Green Mile. To me, that mouse has the same effect on the prisoners in that movie. I also liked how you compared Jesus to a plain mouse. In doing so, you are able to tell a story that points out the benefits in believing in something without putting so much of a religious spin on it. I thought this was well written and really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jessica! This is a great story! I really enjoyed reading it and I could definitely tell (even before the Author's Note) that this was a story about Jesus. I love how you use the character of a mouse almost like a metaphor for how he was not particularly powerful or special looking, but had all these powers. I really think you did an excellent point fitting the setting, food and characters into this new story. It was detailed and well written, plus you made it fun and exciting to read. The only thing I would say, is that some of your beginning paragraph sentences are really long (3rd and 4th para). It just makes it a little hard to read when once sentence is close to four lines long. Other than that, I really like your writing style! I think the pictures you choose were really fitting and visually aided in the story plot. I really understood what was going on throughout the story and could see the original within your version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jess!

    I am glad I got the opportunity to read a story in your writing portfolio! Reading through your story, The Magical Mouse, was very interesting for me for a couple of reasons. For starters, I normally read the author’s note before I read their retellings just so I have an idea of what I am going to be reading. However, for some reason I did not do this before reading your story. So as I was reading along I was thinking to myself, “Hmm this seems a lot like the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000 people with just five loaves a bread and two fish.” So you clearly did a good job of keeping that principle of the original story clear!

    Also, I absolutely love that you changed Jesus’ character into a mouse. It was so fitting for the image you created! I loved what you put in your author’s note about how Jesus was not born to a wealthy family or in even in a hospital, but was born into the most humble setting and that set the stage for the humble life that he lived. Additionally, I completely agree with you in that his humbleness is what made him such a truly powerful person. Great job on this story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a very interesting take on the bread and fish story. I think that representing Jesus with a mouse was a great metaphor and I agree that using blackberries instead of fish also makes more sense with the setting. I liked the fairytale-ish feel of the story. It sounded like something you would read to kids as a bedtime story. Overall the story was very good and well written. The only thing I would mention to relook at is the sentence “When it grew late, Timothy’s bros come to him and said…” To keep the past tense as it is throughout the rest of the story, I think it needs to “Timothy’s bros came to him” Great job so far with your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete