Monday, October 6, 2014

Week 8 Reading Diary


While looking back at my reading diaries I found that their main purpose for me was to compile a list of my favorite stories from that unit, write a summary over those stories, and sometimes I even discussed over all themes and ideas. This allows me to see the stories that I generally have ideas over, or that I enjoy, or that I want to talk about later on in the week. Occasionally I will include ideas on how to do a storytelling over one of the stories in that reading unit. This is incredibly helpful especially if I am working a week or so a head because it is a little reminder of the ideas that I have for telling that story and often jogs my memory or gets my creative juices flowing. My reading diaries are really just the notes I take while reading the stories from each unit. It allows me to compile a list, in a sense, of what I though, how I felt, ideas I had, and so forth. Generally I refer back to my reading diary when I am writing my essay for the week. At some point in my essay I like to discuss something about the reading I did for that week or about the story that I read. The reading diary is more of what the story is about and what I saw in my readings, while the essay is more how I felt about the stories. By including the summaries of the stories that I like I am able to use that summary in my authors note for my storytelling. Being able to know the summary for your retelling is a very important step and should probably be the first one so that you have an understanding of the retelling. All in all, I think I am doing okay on my reading diaries. They are not perfect, but they are not horrible. Sometimes they are a bit messed up, but my brain thinks of a million things at once so that is to be expected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment