Friday, August 22, 2014

Week 1 Famous Last Words


There was once a time when I was a fairly talented writer. I used to write stories about monsters and crazy adventures. There was insight, depth, and voice. Unfortunately, my moderately good writing skills have disappeared since I began college.  All of my writing these days consists of logical assessments and arguments; everything is about something serious and only gives the facts. So as much as I try to be creative with my writing, my creativity has left me.
            This week I did try some creative writing on my own. I am not quite sure if it was a success or not, though. I know that for next week I am going to try adding more details to my stories. It is the details that really brings the story to life and give meaning to the story, which is something I seem to have trouble with. You see, I feel as though I am trapped inside of a box – think cardboard – and some influence in my life (society, peers, culture, subconscious, whatever) is telling me that I am not allowed to climb out of the box and into the gargantuan creativity ocean that surrounds it.
            I most certainly read excellent writings by my fellow classmates. It is all about those details and escaping that box. The frequent amounts of detail, and little deviation from the original story, are things that I am definitely going to try and apply to my writings in the future.
            All of my classes have this one crazy connection… they all want me to read a sufficient amount. One of my other professors actually believes his class on emotions (which he has yet to talk about) is going to change the world. If any of us could figure out what he is talking about, and if he could follow one solid train of thought, it might be able to improve upon certain aspects of life.  He also treats his class like it’s the center of the universe and that no other class exists. As if all of his students are only taking his class, and his class alone. Other than my Nutty Professor, all of my other classes are excellent (including this one).
            As much as I would love to tell all of you about my very thrilling personal life (sarcasm intended), I believe that I will keep that a secret… at least or now.  Ta Ta for now!

Sunset
Wikipedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment