Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 6 Famous Last Words


This week I chose to write about Brer Rabbit, which turned out to be fun and difficult at the same time. I used to hear these stories growing up as a child both in a Disney movie and a few times while visiting family in New Orleans, Louisiana. The hardest part of these stories was definitely the writing and overall “voice” of the narrator. Ebonics on steroids is what I am calling it, basically a type of broken up English. I did enjoy turning one of the stories into a type of petty rivalry, revenge type story, although I only did my storytelling over what could be considered part one of the original story. Since I am writing my Famous Last Words fairly early this week (this is due to the fact that my parents are coming to visit from Houston this weekend and I want as much time as I can with them), I have not fully decided what my reading will be on next week. Currently I am deciding between Chinese Fairy Tales and Nigerian Fairy Tales. I have read a little bit of both groups and I have to say that this is not going to be an easy decision to make. On one hand I really enjoyed reading African Tradition stories this week, they are filled with a little bit of old and a little bit of new along with fun, silliness, and free flowing. On the other hand, I have already done readings from the African Traditions sections so maybe I should do some reading from the Asia/ Pacific region instead. I feel as though the stories from the Chinese Fairy Tales are all about honor and loyalty, since those aspects are a crucial part of the Chinese culture (at least from what I previously know).  I am excited and am looking forward for the week to come.

Loquats and Mountain Bird (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment