Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Week 12 Storytelling: Love Letters Of Pied Piper


My Dearest Lorali,

I lie awake at night, consumed with thoughts of you. I long for the day until I may run my fingers through your lush blonde hair again. Money is hard pressed and, while music is my greatest passion, I must find a way to provide for you my dear. I am resolute in pursuing a task for pay without surrendering my love for music. Tomorrow I travel to Franchville. I hear their rat population is vast, slowly causing the town to be in habitable. May my conquest over the ghastly vermin situation be swift so that I may return to you soon. Be calm my love.

-Pied Piper


My Dearest Lorali,

The squeaking of rats is incessant. My task is of great importance. My bravery to conquer the wicked of this town comes only from my undying affection for you. The Mayor bestowed me fifty pounds once my task of ridding the town of every rat is completed. Fifty pounds!

With my pipe laid to my lips, I stepped out of the hall and began to play. As each note pierced the air the rats began to swarm at my feet. I played for a great distance, with hundreds of rats at my heels. Still playing, I hoped on to a small boat and floated out to the waters, the rat’s still following me into the water. Deeper and deeper into the water I sailed until every last rat in the village was extinct. I arrived on shore a hero and hastened to claim my reward.

Remain in the greatest of health. My journey has nearly concluded. Do not have sorrow. Our distance only causes our passion to grow. If only our hearts were always close together, words would not be so difficult to say. Remain my one and only, my treasure, my always.

-Pied Piper


My Dearest Lorali,

Regrettably my journey is still on going. The Mayor had deceived me! He now wishes to pay me a lowly twenty pounds. My fury is greater than the depths of hell! My anger more vast than the deepest ocean! Oh my love, how I wish you were here to calm my outrage. This Mayor will rue the day he deceived my good will. I will be counting down the days until we meet again. I pray that you will not feel the pain of our extended distance. We shall surely see each other soon. Be strong my love.

-Pied Piper


My Dearest Lorali,

It is not possible for one to feel as euphoric as I, but ‘tis the day I finally begin my return to you. My journey was a tedious one, but I bring many gifts with me to help with our work. We will no longer be slaves to our fate, but will now live like royalty. With my pipe I have procured for us a grand group of gleeful souls, eager to toil away. If it were so I would fly into your arms and thus I would know what home is. Love me and make me the happiest of men? My longing for you grows deeper for I know I will shortly be in your presence. Rest my love, for we will be united soon.  

-Pied Piper

Old Letters (Source

Author's Note.

The story of The Pied Piper is about a man who comes to a village and says that he can rid the town of their humongous rat infestation for fifty pounds. The Mayor agrees and so the Pied Piper plays his pipe leading the mice to the water where they all drowned and die. He then goes to collect his reward but is told that the town can only pay him twenty pounds. The Pied Piper feels as though he has been deceived by the towns folk so he picks up this pipe and plays a tune the lures all of the children from the town out into the woods, never to be seen again.

I decided that many musicians have a muse, so I decided to make the Pied Piper a striving musician who was desperately trying to be with his love, Lorali (yes I have been watching too much Gilmore Girls). I thought the love letters would be a way to establish that he was a struggling artist, desperately trying to win over his loved one’s affection. I added in the love letter parts while still keeping the basic plot points, but decided to keep the ending, when he takes the children, vague. It does not specifically say what happens to the kids so I figured why wouldn’t he just keep them as servants to make life easier for him and Lorali? 

Bibliography. More English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1894). 

No comments:

Post a Comment